You will be amazed by this unique twist on guacamole from a Mexican favorite to an Italian variation, trust me!! A fantastic alternative for those who don’t like cilantro but more importantly I find everyone loves it and enjoys the unexpected flavors. Seriously it is stupid-delicious and so easy.
Note: I recommend that you still serve it with tortilla chips. I tried swapping them for a more Italian accompaniment such as toasted Italian bread but discovered that the tortilla chips were by far still the best.
RECIPE TUNES (because everything is always better with music)
Mas Que Nada (feat. The Black Eyed Peas) by Sergio Mendes • Stunner by Milky Chance • Domino (feat. Fitz) by ZZ Ward
- 4-6 Ripe Avocados depending on how big they are (get one extra avocado to save. See note at #10 below.)
- 1 Small Roma Tomato
- 1 Small Red Onion
- 1 Bunch or small package of Fresh Basil
- 1 6 oz container of large Parmesan Cheese Shavings or any Shaved Parmesan Cheese you can find. (See photo at the bottom of this recipe if not familiar with parmesan shavings.)
- 2 Lemons (You use only one but I always like to have an extra on hand incase I need more juice.)
- Balsamic Vinegar (You don’t need much, just enough to splash in for the tangy-acidity.)
- Kosher Salt (a few large pinches)
- Your favorite chips
- Scoop out your avocados into a deep bowl. (Save one)
- Dice up 1/4 to 1/2 of your onion and add it to your bowl with avocado. (If you prefer less or no onion add
accordingly. I like the crunch as well as the flavor that the onion adds.)
- Dice your roma tomato fairly small and add it to your other ingredients.
- Finely chop/dice your basil and add to the bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of your lemon into the bowl with everything.
- Add 2-3 splashes of balsamic vinegar to everything.
- Add three large pinches of kosher salt.
- Using a large spoon, alternate mashing your avocados and mixing everything together with your spoon until you have the consistency you prefer. (I like leaving some chunks of the avocado within the mix)
- Add 1 1/2 cups of large parmesan shavings to your guacamole and mix it in well
- Taste the guacamole and add more salt, vinegar or lemon juice to your liking.
Note: If its too salty the trick is to add an extra avocado if you have saved one.
- Garnish with some of the shaved parmesan if you like and serve with whatever tortilla/corn chips you love most.